Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Using the Silhouette in the Classroom

OH.MY.GOSH!!! Have you heard of the Silhouette machine?! Let me tell you - it's something I purchased last spring with the intent of just having it for fun. Now the new school year is less than two weeks away and I've been setting up my classroom, and it is my new best friend!!! I can't wait to show you all of the adorable things I've used it for in my own classroom.


If you haven't heard of the Silhouette, it's a cutting machine that can cut pretty much anything...paper, vinyl, fabric, etc. It can even make stickers and heat transfer materials (to make shirts or bags or whatever!), I've used it to make stencils...there is no end to what it can do. I'm still just a beginner so I'm sure it can do even more than all of that!

Anyway, I convinced my hubby to get me one after one of my best friends made us all Koozies for a big Memorial Day weekend (he's a sucker for Koozies!). She also made me vinyl decals with all of my students' names on them for End of the Year gifts last year. How adorable did they come out?! My kids LOVED them!
In addition, she made monograms for all of my teammates that I applied to some adult sippy cups (if you know what I mean!). I forgot to take pictures of those, but they were just as perfect. Anyway, if you need any vinyl goodness, go check out her etsy store here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JessicaWolff?ref=search_shop_redirect
{J. Wolff on Etsy}
She's seriously the sweetest and will help you with anything you might want!! Keep reading for an awesome teacher GIVEAWAY from her!!! :)

Alright, onto my classroom! Here's a quick peek at how I used my Silhouette in my classroom:

First of all, I used vinyl to completely transform my Calendar area & Focus Wall. Wall space is super limited in my new classroom so I split the white board to house both of these important areas. I used the Silhouette to cut vinyl decals for me to write the date and digital date, as well as the learning target (objective) and standard for each subject. I LOVE how it looks...it will keep my boards organized all year long.

I also used vinyl to label these ADORABLE pencil cups from the Target Dollar Spot. I love how they came out!

Probably my favorite contribution from my Silhouette is that it cut ALL these bunting banners out. I used them all over my classroom to label bulletin boards. The machine cut out the bunting and the letters and I just glued them together. My husband was so sick of hearing me go on and on about how I'll never have to cut anything again EVER (probably not true, but I was EXCITED y'all!!!).

It also cut out allllll of my word wall and bulletin board letters for me!! No purchasing and punching out letters for me anymore (which to be honest I have never done!). I love that I can make it in any font too! I'll be doing this all.year.long.

Here's the link to the Silhouette if you want to check it out:

Or, if you aren't ready to drop the money yet, you can purchase the vinyl decals seen above from my TPT store (they'll be mailed to you!):
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Focus-Wall-Vinyl-Decals-1975064
{Click Here}
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Calendar-Vinyl-Decals-1975011
{Click Here}
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Pencil-Cup-Vinyl-Decals-1974961
{Click Here}

 Or, if you need a CUSTOM Classroom Vinyl Decal, check out this listing below. I'd love to work with you to create what you need for your classroom!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Custom-Classroom-Vinyl-Decals-1975091
{Click Here}
Additionally, you can purchase the digital EDITABLE file for the Classroom Bunting here:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Editable-Classroom-Bunting-1973407
{Click Here}

Ready for the GIVEAWAY!?!?
My sweet friend Jess is giving away an ADORABLE Apple Monogram decal...you can put this on anything your little heart desires, but I think it would be particularly cute on a water bottle or tumbler that you can bring to and from school. :) I'm also giving away my Editable Classroom Bunting as well as the Pencil Cup Vinyl Decals.

* Sorry for the extreme overuse of the word ADORABLE in this post! :) * 

5 comments :

  1. I'm excited about using vinyl in my room this year too! By the way....I don't think I knew the date written like 7/21/15 was called the digital date...um...duh!! LOL!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't either until I saw that on a calendar pack I bought from TPT!!! I love it though :)

      Delete
  2. I bought those pencil cups at Target and am hoping to win your vinyl letters - so cute and adorable! Love your blog too!
    xo,
    Vicky
    Teaching and Much Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! Quick question: I have some mini-water bottles that I'll be using as my "welcome back" gift for my students and wanted to use vinyl. Any idea on cleaning the water bottles and how water might affect the vinyl? I don't want to waste any of my precious material ;)
    Kelli
    Tales of a Tenacious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a cute idea!! I would just clean them with dish soap and let them dry before sticking your vinyl on. After that, you shouldn't really have any problems!! :) At least, I haven't had any issues with the water bottle I have with a vinyl sticker on it. :) Make sure you post a picture when you've finished them!

      Delete